Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 389

Thread: Your stuff?

  1. #361
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    why not just making a website for your stuff and leaving it at that? Instead of constantly posting here's another, here's another.
    Not to be a downer but after awhile it's just tiresome. IMO
    I appreciate what everyone has done or currently does I mean that's what it's all about sharing ideas, but when 3/4 of this thread is 1 guy and even then it's .. forget it.

    Maybe it's just me so I will drop it. play on
    [img]redface.gif[/img]

  2. #362
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Randy,

    Latin is something not talked
    about on any drum forum.

    People don't realize what it
    can do for them. It can make
    them better drummers and get
    them more work.

    If you don't want me to post,
    that's up to you, Randy. You
    are a moderator.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 24, 2004 09:49 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  3. #363
    Inactive Member Frank Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2003
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Uh, did I come in at a bad time or what?"

    Peter,

    The scene was just a jam session. We were trying a bunch of stuff, some moments were nice. My approach at this jam was to stay as close to the groove for as long as possible, and ignore the urge to go off. In the case of the shuffle groove, that one got away from me quite a bit. The hi-hat and snare interplay is essential. When I went to the ride cymbal, I was unable to keep that happening. As a result, we sped up, but just laughed it off and kept playing.

    My technique is pretty general. I am not sure what part you are asking about. My left hand stays pretty close to the snare head, sort of David Garibaldiesque. I play heel up and matched grip, except when I play swing music. Something about that music makes me want to play traditional.

    The tunes are just ideas. Brad and I have been collaborating for some time, and we just seem to gel really well. He is a great guitar player, and arguably, just as good in the bass department. Our hope is to get some more jams like this going soon.

    I hope that this addresses your question. Thank you for taking the time to check the stuff out. I appreciate any further comments you might have.

    Take Care. F.S.

  4. #364
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey randy, I've really enjoyed hearing all the players that have posted here, it's really inspiring to me and makes me realise how much I want to improve and get closer to what I'm hearing from everyone. Especially pedro, except I'll never be able to play that shit he does! [img]tongue.gif[/img] So, I say, let's encourage not discourage [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Frank, nice drum sound! What hats you using, they sound sweet.

  5. #365
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Frank,

    It's always nice to hook up with players of like mind. The rock-edge of the music pulls out a
    part of you, I find. This is a good thing, keeping your feet on the ground.

    On the rushing of the shuffle, going to the cymbal, that happens to almost everybody. Notice that when Purdie plays his, he is almost always on the very bell of the ride. The sound of the cymbal, there, works much better, with the snare, which I think has to remain aubible, during the pattern. If it is, the time stays more constant. I think we're touching on why he does this, here, in your situation - keeping the triplet alive and in sync.

    I can't say that this is true for all drummers but in my experience, locking into guitarists for time is risky business. They seem to rush more than anyone else. In this configuration, the pressure is really on you. Tough proposition. Your job is constantly relegated to firm time-keeping.

    However, you're doing a great job at keeping it under control and it's no wonder that he continues to foster this relationship with you.

    Really dig you, Frank!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #366
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rudy,

    Pedro is something else - a real find in my opinion. I remember how excited I was to make contact with Alex Sanguinetti. He was something for me. I never had heard about him but when I heard and saw him (video), I knew that I had to make contact with him. He liked everything that I liked and it was he that turned me onto Conexion. Everything about him was inspiration. Pedro is the same.

    He got all the work, south of the border and for a reason but look at this other stuff that he's gotten into! He even sent me some original stuff for me to work on! Shit! I can't think with it yet but I'm going to try!

    [img]eek.gif[/img]

    He is so positive and encouraging. I am very happy to have made a friend of him. He's always learning too. He never stops his inquiries. If he can't do it, he works on it until he can. I have met few players like that but here they are!

    Incidentally, Rudy, I am looking forward to hearing more from you on that Latin stuff, which I KNOW will add to your approach in myriad ways. You have such a nice touch on the kit!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  7. #367
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, Randy.

    I think you're a great drummer and it's clear that you have helped a lot of the guys, here. I always like to read your posts.

    I wish that the sounds could interest you, even if not for the music, the drums but everyone is different and they go for different things.

    This was/is all an experiment for me. I share it with everyone, the mistakes and all, freely, with the idea to encourage people to go into it because of my firm belief that it will make them better drummers. It will refine their technique and make them more versatile, especially, if they play 'open-handed'.

    I suppose it would be fair to say that most people don't for go for it. However, for those that do, if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask me about it. I'll always be looking for new arrangments to tackle and re-work for the drums.

    Of course, my opinion is 'my opinion' and it may not jibe with everyone elses. Some might think that Latin and Big Band don't have the kind of relationship that I think they have but isn't that true about everything?

    Well, my kind regards...

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  8. #368
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think what i wrote has been misconstrued, it should have been polite constructive critique and instead it seems people think I was on the attack and that simply is not the case.

    Please feel free to post your ideas, Latin is very kewl and because it takes coordination should be practiced by all.

  9. #369
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks peter for your reply and your kind words. I definitely want to record more latin, not only to hear my new rides and hihats, but to continue practising good timekeeping as well as learning to play latin more correctly. I mean, those latin tracks have no click going, just the band, and I think that's a great challenge in trying to make every beat fall in the right place. I don't know when I'll have enough free time during the day to do this, though there is a 2 week break coming up from the schools I teach at, so hopefully then. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  10. #370
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Randy,

    Thanks. I very much appreciate your response. Again, you're a great drummer, with valuable insight so any suggestion or comment from you is worth considering.

    As you suggested, a site could be constructed and with all the links to tunes that I am working on, without making this thread run on and on, the site and original thread, itself, being updated.

    I'll see if I can put something like that together later today or in the near future.

    I do not want to discourage others from posting what they have, however. I know that Randy would share in this view.

    It's very easy for me to do these things but not as much for others. So, please keep posting your work, whatever it is, everyone.

    Rudy,

    You are very, very kind. Whenever you have the time to do it, I want you to share what you do with us.

    Oh! In regards keeping time with these vibrant Latin bands, we do have an advantage in having percussionists to work with, which helps to keep the pocket in place. Though, I must admit these guys can find reasons for quickening the blood, if you know what I mean.

    [img]smile.gif[/img]

    It really is fun but most, when you play it.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 25, 2004 10:52 AM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •